We are the 2nd longest standing institution in the Carolinas. Our heritage extends back to 1797 when John de la Howe established a farm school for local poor and orphaned children.
Providing a safe haven for children to heal, grow and make lasting changes.
Caring for South Carolina’s Children.
Ideal for Growth
John de la Howe School is an ideal environment for growth.
- Our programs address the whole person: academics, behavior and interpersonal skills, and physical fitness.
- The staff and educators are fully credentialed veterans who enjoy a sense of mission or calling to their work.
- We aim to restore the student to their family and community, not simply build a perpetual roster.
- Our institution is supported by the State of South Carolina, so we have the resources to provide the care needed.
- The John de la Howe School campus is expansive with tremendous opportunities to enjoy outdoor sports, canoeing, fishing, and horseback riding.
From our students and families:
We just want to let you know that we are very pleased with John de la Howe School and the whole staff, including all employees you have. We have been given 100% of all their support when we most needed it.
This was the hardest decision I have ever had to make but it has been the best decision I ever made. The Wilderness Program staff is truly gifted. Thank you so much for helping my family. This school has turned our family into a happy home. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I would not be the man I am today without John de la Howe School.
My son is becoming more and more responsible about his clothes and material. Makes his bed when he gets up. Keeps materials in their place. Respecting home rules. Everything is changing. My son is trying to grow up!
We just want to let you know that we are very pleased with John de la Howe School and the whole staff, including all employees you have. We have been given 100% of all their support when we most needed it. I thought my world was going to end when we had left my son at JDLH. It was the hardest thing to me and my family to be away from my children. They had never been away from me since birth and at my side all these years until now.
My daughter has improved in her behavior and grades. It has been good for her to be at JDLH. The time and care she has received from staff has been very helpful. I thank you all for everything you have helped her with.