The forest surrounding the historic John de la Howe School is spectacular!
Its significance is so great, in fact, that the National Park Service named our forest a “National Natural Landmark (NNL)” in 1976. Only five other landmarks in South Carolina have this distinction.
The NNL designation formally recognizes the outstanding biological and/or geological features of a site. Since the program was created 56 years ago, approximately 600 natural areas have earned landmark status.
A new report, “Landmark Highlights,” mentions the de la Forest as one of the NNL sites that was part of the first total solar eclipse in 100 years. In fact, de la Howe was one of only 32 sites to be within the path of totality on Aug. 21 last year! De la Howe students and staff were joined by members of our surrounding communities to witness the eclipse.
Since our founding in 1797, the natural beauty of de la Howe’s forest, campus, waterways and pastures have been a major asset to the school. Our “old-growth forest” is an area that has reached great age and continues to remain undisturbed by progress and development. In fact, the forest surrounding Dr. de la Howe’s tomb is protected by such intrusive actions.
Having a natural resource of this magnitude is a gift and one that our leaders, staff and students have treasured for more than 220 years.
If your travel plans include a trek across the Palmetto State this summer, the other National Natural Landmarks and the counties where they are located include: Congaree River Swamp, Richland; Flat Creek Natural Area and 40-acre Rock, Lancaster; the Francis Beidler Forest, Berkeley and Dorchester; St. Phillips Island, Beaufort, and Stevens Creek Natural Area, McCormick.